I Was Only a Child

Standing as one of the most-heinous, race-motivated crimes in America’s history, the kidnapping and savage lynching of 14-year-old Emmett Till in Mississippi still stirs embers of anger in the minds of many who have endured racism and injustice. Considered a trans-formative moment in the African-American Civil Rights Movement, Till’s death shocked a nation and still resonates deeply in the minds of
 Mississippians and others abroad.

The piece below was written by my daughter when she was in Middle School, she's now 21 years old. You can read this and more in my upcoming book POEMS IN THE KEY OF LIFE. 



I WAS ONLY A CHILD
by Ambrea Clark

i was born a black boy from Illinois
racism, discrimination
a child of Louis Till 
i suffered from polio and it conflicted with my speech
i was cursed with a stutter 
but it didn’t make my personality a demon
in 1955 I was sent to live with my kin
Moses lived in Mississippi
a different world than where I lived
abuse, dislikes
a child of confusion

pickin cotton half the day
and relaxin at Bryant’s grocery
by the end of the way
when you see a white woman
get off the street
reply “yes sir, no sir”
when and if a white speaks
if white folk dis ya just say nothin
all the things I heard from my mama
lynchin, racially motivated murders
i was a child of it all

i whistled at his wife
according to the other folk 
so i fled for my life
i stayed away for a few days
thinkin everything was fine
but in reality Mr. B 
was waitin for the right time
he dragged me out of my house
and into his truck
told my kin to be quiet
as if he had their trust

beat me, hit me but you will never break me
thoughts runnin through my mind
to stay strong and they will soon neglect me
he saw my straight face
and thought i wasn’t scared 
so he took me by the river
and planned to leave me there
determined to live my life and hoping to survive
he chose to make peace with piece because he wasn’t satisfied
no respect, no justice
a child of the Tallahatchie River

mama had no idea 
until they found me afloat with a fan from a cotton gin 
tears, screams and pain
went all through my kin
it was an open funeral the world saw my face
thousands and millions saw the pain I went through
but i was happy that they saw cause now they know
what Mr B and his friends really like to do
racism, discrimination and abuse
dislikes, no respect and no justice
lynchin and racially motivated murders
i was a child of Louis Till
i was a child of confusion
i was a child of the Tallahatchie River
i was a child of it all

Comments

  1. This young child is my children 3rd cousin on their Fathers mother side. Oh the stories she shared. This poem speaks to my heart. I remember how I protected my young son from harm and danger after hearing about Emmet Mother's pain. Though hard to accept this is truth!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts