Fury: A Mother's Revenge


Read the below excerpt from my coming release
                           


                               

                                       Cassidee

        They pulled into the parking lot and turned off the engine. The warmth from the heat had already caused condensation to form on the windows. Cassidee had started to regret her decision to work the competition. Christmas was coming and she knew her mama could use the extra money. They were down to their last pack of chicken in the freezer and she had never seen the pantry so empty. Her mama would usually give up her meal just to make sure the children ate enough. Her brother Cayden ate like two grown men and only weighed about a buck fifty wet.
“Cass, get out of the damn car! What you sittin’ there for?”
Cayden was always impatient unless it came to something that was benefiting him.
“Hell its cold out there. I gotta get prepared for that hawk. And watch your mouth, you’re not old enough to be cussin’ like that,” Cassidee exclaimed.
“You’re only two years older than me, so you can’t tell me what to do. Besides nobody told you to put on that short dress. Why are you wearing something like that to a basketball game anyway?”
“I have to be cute. See you don’t know anything about that. Those chickens you mess with ain’t got style.”
“Whatever, just get out. I have a date and I’m already late. You need to get your car fixed. Instead of hanging out at these games you need to be working.”
She could never let Cayden in on her secret; he couldn’t hold water. As soon as he got mad at her, he would tell their mama what she was doing.
“I got a job! How can you dictate to me about what I should be doing and you don’t have a car or a job?”
“You’re older you’re supposed to have those things already. Besides, I don’t have time to work. I have football games, football practice, football training and not to mention homework.”
“Boy, you know you don’t do any homework!”
“Well, maybe not homework, but still I don’t have time to work.”
He was right. His schedule was tight and work was impossible right now. It was up to her to help make ends meet. Right now, it seemed that those ends were far apart.
“A’ight, tell Ma I’ll be late and that I'm catching a ride with Dru. Make sure you strap up.”
Cayden let out a loud devious laugh. “I’m a virgin, I’m saving myself.”
“Bye liar.”
Cassidee stepped out into the cold air quickly realizing that she had left her gloves on the floor of the car. She scrambled to get her hands into the pockets of her Blue Sail jacket. She had gotten it for Christmas a year prior and refused to wear it because of the large unattractive pockets. Tonight she appreciated that flawed feature.
Relief settled in when she finally reached the gymnasium. The dimly lit lobby reminded her of the lobby of a movie theatre. Grayson High was known for its plush design. It had once been an overpriced hotel owned by Creswell Grayson. When the owner died, she willed it over to the school. The front wall held a giant portrait of the donor. Everyone was shocked to find out that it was a woman. The name Creswell seemed more suitable for a man. The new school was, however, a vast improvement from the ragged structure they had before.
Cassidee looked around for her friend Dru. She was definitely not working alone. DruAndrea Lawson had been her best friend since third grade at Dunbar Elementary. It was the first day of school and Cassidee was terrified. She didn’t know anyone and she had never been to a public school before. She and her brother had both been enrolled in a private institution. It was snack time and Cassidee had forgotten to grab hers from the kitchen table. Dru came to her rescue and shared her snack crackers with her. They’ve been inseparable ever since.
Just as she started to dial Dru’s number on her cell, she heard that familiar squeaky voice.
“Naw man! We agreed on two-hundred a piece. I’m not settling for anything less.”
Cassidee walked to the back of the concession stand and found Dru huddled in a corner with Coach T. They called him Coach T because it took too long to say Tachibana. Plus, it was Japanese and hard to pronounce.
“Dru, hey I was looking for you. What’s going on?”
“Nothing except Coach is trying to short change us.”
Coach T adjusted his weight on the small bench that seemed to get lost beneath his extra large butt. “Now look darlin’, I’m not trying to short change you, I’m just—“
“You’re just what!” Dru yelled. She was a tiny girl with a high-pitched voice but had the heart of a lion. She always seemed to have a man wrapped around her finger. They did whatever she wanted them to do whenever she wanted them to do it. She was feisty and knew how to get what she wanted.
“I’m just trying to explain that Grady pulled out so we’re a little short that’s all.”
Cassidee pulled Dru to the side and whispered, “Maybe we shouldn’t do this tonight. I don’t feel right. You know how I get.”
“Girl, don’t come up in here with that psycho psychic crap tonight. You said you needed some extra dough right?”
“Yea…but—“
“Well here you go. Now pull your big girl panties up and let’s get this money.”
Cass sat down on the stool in front of the candy station. Dru was right she needed the money so she couldn’t back out now.
“I guess you’re right. I’m worried for nothing.”
“Damn right I’m right.” She grabbed Cassidee’s hand and led her to the back of the tiny room.
“Oh…Dru,” Cassidee stopped abruptly and let go of her hand.
“Oh goodness, what is it now Cass?”
Cassidee looked at Dru with a slight grin, “I’m not wearing any panties.”

Comments

Popular Posts